GAJANAN * ********
Date of Birth: 20-05-1976
Marital Status: Married
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]
Phone: +91 9845166113 (mobile Indian number)
+251 904905004 (mobile Ethiopian number)
+91 080 40904369 (residence number in India)
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=93Z4-nIAAAAJ&hl=en
2009 – 2016 Ph. D. Experimental condensed matter physics, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
1997- 1999: Master of Science (M.Sc), Karnatak University, Dharwad, India, Grade = First Class.
1995-1997: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Karnataka University, Dharwad, India. Grade = First Class.
• Associate professor of Physics at Department of Physics, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
• On sabbatical leave from PES University – Bangalore South Campus (formerly known as PES – Institute of Technology, Bangalore South Campus), Bangalore, India (on leave from 8th Dec., 2017)
• Good knowledge of working of the muffle and two zone furnaces. Can build small furnaces.
• Experience in synthesis of high and low Tg glasses of various compositions: Vanadates, Tellurites, Borates, Phosphates, Oxides and Oxyfluoride glasses by open air and / or inert quenching.
• Experience in incorporating nanomaterials like CNT and quantum dots into the glass and polymer composition.
• Good knowledge of thermal and physical analysis of glasses and correlating them to structural aspects; Experienced in handling Differential Scanning Calorimentry instrument.
• Experienced in handling NMR and EPR spectrometers. Can build NMR spectrometer from scratch if the components are available.
• Experience in designing and handling high as well as low temperature (liquid nitrogen) experiments. Good knowledge of Oxford low temperature setups.
• Experience in synthesis of quantum dots like ZnO, CuS, CdS, PbS and their composites with the polymer or glasses.
• Experience in impedance and photo-impedance characterization of conducting polymer-quantum dot composites and glasses.
• Experience in characterizing glasses and polymer films by Raman, Photoluminescence, IR and Uv-Vis spectroscopic techniques. Experienced in handling HORIBA JOBIN YVON LabRAM HR instrument for Raman and Photoluminescence and PerkinElmer, CINTRA 400 for Uv-Vis spectrocopies.
• Experience in building models from the experimental data to correlate structural and physical aspects.
• Gajanan V Honnavar, K Subramanian and K P Ramesh, “Local environment of mixed alkali oxyfluoro vanadate glasses a MAS-NMR study”
To be Published:
• Gajanan V Honnavar, “Effect of molar volume on the interaction between mobile ions in mixed alkali oxyfluoro vanadate glasses: An Electrical modulus analysis” Accepted for IUMRS ICA 2018, held at Bali, Indonasia, preprint at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.12536
• Gajanan V Honnavar, Vaibhav Varade, Parul Goel, K P Ramesh, “Observation of Mixed Alkali Like Behaviour by Fluorine Ion in Mixed Alkali Oxyfluro Vanadate Glasses: Analysis from Conductivity Measurements” Accepted and presented at DAE SSPS 2018, held at Hissar, India. preprint available at: https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.11192; Soon it will be available on IOP conference series website.
• Gajanan V Honnavar and K P Ramesh, “Optical spectroscopic characterization of Rare earth (Eu, Er) doped Oxyfluoro tellurite glasses for photonic applications”, Bull. Mater. Sci. 40 (2017) 991 – 997.
• Gajanan V Honnavar, K P Ramesh and S V Bhat, “Role of crystal field in mixed alkali metal effect: Electron Paramagnetic Resonance study of mixed alkali metal oxyfluoro vanadate glasses.” J. Phys. Chem. A. 118 (2014) 573 – 578.
• Gajanan V Honnavar, Prabhava S N and K P Ramesh, “Study of effect of alkali mixture on V – O bond length in Oxyfluoride Vanadate glasses using Raman spectroscopy”, J. Non-Cryst. Solids. 370 (2013) 6 – 9.
• Vaibhav Varade, Gajanan V Honnavar, P Anjaneyulu, K P Ramesh and Reghu Menon, “Probing disorder and transport properties in polypyrrole thin-film devices by impedance and Raman spectroscopy”, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 46 (2013) 365306.
• C Basavaraja, Gajanan V Honnavar, M Revanasiddappa, Syed Khasim and S C Raghavendra “Radio Frequency Shielding properties of Poly pyrrole lead titanate composites.” 10th International Conference on Advanced Materials, IUMRS-ICAM, 8 – 13 Oct., 2007. [Poster]
• Gajanan V Honnavar, Prabhava S N and K P Ramesh “XPS and EPR studies of Mixed Alkali Effect in oxyfluoro vanadate glasses”. International Conference on Speciallity Glass and Optical Fiber: Materials, Technology and Devices (ICGF – 2011), 4 – 6 Aug., 2011. [Oral]
• Gajanan V Honnavar, S V Bhat and K P Ramesh, “EPR investigation of crystal field variation around VO2+ in Oxyfluro vanadate glasses” Symposium on New Developments in NMR and Conference of National Magnetic Resonance Society, 5 – 8, Feb., 2012. [Poster]
• Gajanan V Honnavar, S V Bhat and K P Ramesh, “Insight into the bond length and crystal field variation in a mixed alkali glass: A Raman and EPR study” IUMRS – ICA 2013, 16 – 20, Dec., 2013. [Oral]
• Arjun K N, Baridun Nasr P A and Gajanan V Honnavar, “Study of Li – ion Conductivity and Correlation with Disorder in Vanadate Glasses for Li – ion Battery Materials” MECS – 2016, 11- 13, March, 2016 [Poster]
• Gajanan V Honnavar and K P Ramesh, “Raman and UV-Visible study of ZincTellurite glass for photonic application” CRALT – 2016, 21 – 23, September, 2016. Organized by IEEE – photonic society [Poster].
• Gajanan V Honnavar, “Mixed Alkali Effect – from mystery to understanding” ICNSMH – 2016, 21 – 23, October, 2016. [Invited]
• Belay Getachew, Mohamed Irfan I, K.P.Ramesh, Gajanan V Honnavar “Study on Thermal Stability and Vibration of V – O Bonds in Lithium Vanadate Glasses Doped with Nickel Ferrite” ICAM – 2019, Accepted for Poster June 2019
• Afrash Ejigu A, Manjunatha M, K.P. Ramesh, Gajanan V Honnavar, “Study on some physical properties of Niobium-based tellurite glasses doped with rare earth elements” ICAM – 2019, Accepted for Poster June 2019
Research Projects completed / On-going:
• On September 05, 2018, my research proposal on “Investigation on Li ion motion and local structure in lithium vanadate glasses for possible battery material” was awarded with 40 lakh rupees (~$55,306) for 2 years.
First instalment of 20 lakh (~$27,650) has been released and procurement of some instruments related to the project is initiated.
• When I was a Ph. D. student at IISc, worked on a project “synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and electrical conductivity studies on mixed alkali oxyfluoro vanadate glasses” which formed one part of my thesis.
• Six students of Mechanical and Electronics Department are working on an in-house funded project to investigate optical activity of the rare earth doped tellurite glasses.
Student Projects supervised / supervising:
• Mrs. Parul Goel, PhD student from Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi, India is working on Investigation on the Fluorine substitution in Vanadate glasses for new cathode material for Li-ion battery. (2016)
• Mr. Afrash Ejigu, PhD student from Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia is working on the Effect of crystallization on the Optical properties of Some Tellurite glasses for photonic application. (2017)
• Mr. Belay Getachew, PhD student from Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, is working on the Effect of crystallization and addition of magnetic materials on the electrical properties of Some Vanadate glasses for capacitor and battery applications. (2017)
• “Analysis of neodymium doped telluro-cadmium glass for photonic application” Department of Physics, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, 2019 Student – Moges Tsega
• “Study of Structural and Magnetic properties of ZnO doped Nickel ferrites” Department of Physics, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, 2019 Student – Mengistu
• Batcholor Projects:
• “Demonstration of light propagation through a dielectric medium” Batchelor of Engineering Final year project. Electronics and Communication Department, PESIT-Bangalore South campus, Bangalore. Students – Nikhil Jain, Kishore T, Mantesh Karjol and Sujatha Policepatil 8th sem. ECE (2018)
• “Building a microcontroller-based lock – in amplifier for sensitive electric and optical measurements”. Bachelor of Engineering Final year project. Electronics and Communication Department. Students – Darshan, Hemanth Reddy, Sai Himaja and Vinutha Nair, 8th sem. ECE (2017)
• “Mechanical properties of Aluminum Fly ash composites”. Students – Kshitiz Bajaj and Kumar Gaurav 8th sem. Mech. Engg. (2016)
• “Parking lot management system based on Audrino borad”. Student – Md. Shariq 4th sem Mech. Engg. (2013)
• “Investigation of the electrical conductivity property in CuS quantum dots for possible application as cathode material for rechargeable batteries” Mechanical Engineering Department. Students – Md. Irfan, Kaushik Vighnesh, 4th semester Mech. Engg. (2016 – 2017)
Job Positions held previously:
• Assistant professor of Physics at PES Institute of Technology – Bangalore South Campus, Bangalore, India (2011 – 2016).
• Lecturer in Physics at PES Institute of Technology – Bangalore South Campus, Bangalore, India (2005 – 2011)
• Ph D student at Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. Aug 2009 – Aug 2016. Thesis adviser: Prof. K P Ramesh. On study leave from PES – Institute of Technology from Aug 2009 to Aug 2011
• Lecturer in Physics at MVJ College of Engineering, Bangalore, India (2002 – 2005).
• 17+ years of teaching experience at various levels.
• Courses offered: General Physics, Engineering Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Optical Instrumentation and Engineering, Optical fiber communications, Solid State Physics, Electromagnetic Field theory, Nano-electronics and Engineering Physics Lab.
• Ph. D supervisor recognised by Visweswaraya Technological University, Belagavi, Karnataka, India
• Involved in setting up of Physics lab. Responsible for procurement of equipment and negotiations with various vendors.
• Designed few experiments for the physics lab and implemented.
• Coordinator for planning and executing internal assessment tests for the institution.
• Mentor for gifted student development program as well as weak student support program.
• Developing online lecture content on Moodle an intranet teaching learning resource.
• Served as internal auditor for ISO certification while at MVJ College of Engineering.
• Served as a Deputy Chief of Exams at PES Institute of Technology – Bangalore south campus.
• Member of University Exam board.
• Served as Chairman of the Exam Squad team.
• Served as Resource person for the High school teachers training programme conducted regularly by IISc at Challekere campus.
• Regularly conducts hands on training session of electronic circuit building and Octave/Scilab for students.
Awards and Membership of Professional Bodies:
• IEEE member (No. 93881247); member of American Physics Society (APS) (Member ID: 61221828) and Life member of Energy Science Society of India (ESSI) (Member ID: 1103201638L)
• Recognised Referee for Science Direct Journals – Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids (JNCS) – a prestigious journal for glasses and ceramics, Solid State Ionics and IOP journal Materials Research Express
• Awarded a certificate by Elsevier in recognition to the outstanding contribution towards reviewing for the Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, for the year 2017
• Best teacher award at MVJ College of Engineering.
• Recognition for getting best results consistently at PES Institute of Technology from 2007 onwards.
• Fairly good knowledge of low temperature systems, Raman Spectrometer, Impedance analyser, NMR and EPR instruments.
• Conversant with computer languages like C, C++. Good working knowledge of MATLAB, Octave, Origin 9.0, Windows XP, 7 and Linux,
• Good knowledge of preparing documentation for ISO certification and National Board of Accreditation (NBA) activities for the institutes.
• Vocational Training / Course:
1. Dec. 2000 – Dec. 2001, A certificate course in ADVANCED CERTIFICATE IN SOFTWARE ENGINEERING from IBM Learning Services, Bangalore, India.
2. 18 – 23 Aug., 2003, A short course of INSTRUCTION PLANNING AND DELIVERY by Technical Teacher’s training Institute, Chennai, India
3. 9th – 13th Aug.,2004, short term training programme on “CRYOGENICS ENGINEERING & ITS APPLICATIONS” sponsored by AICTE & ISTE, India.
Prof. K P Ramesh,
Department of Physics,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore – 560 012, India.
Prof. S V Bhat,
INSA Senior Scientist,
Department of Physics,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore – 560 012, India.
Narayan S. Hosmane,
Distinguished Research Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry and an Inaugural Board of Trustees Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Northern Illinois University
1425 W. Lincoln Hwy
DeKalb, IL 60115-2828
(815) 753‐3556 (office)
Dr J Suryaprasad,
PES University-Bangalore South Campus,
Hosur Road, Near Electronic City, Bangalore – 560 100, India
+91 – 9945240735 (mobile)
+91 – 080 – 66186610 (office)
PhD at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore India
I am currently supervising three PhDs in the field of optical and electrical properties of glasses.
My research interests include structural investigation of disordered materials like glasses and conducting polymers by using spectroscopic techniques like electron spin resonance, Raman, photoluminescence, IR and UV-Vis and impedance; glasses for photonic electronic applications; semiconductor quantum dots and composites; charge transport and photo-physical properties in disordered systems (glasses, polymer, soft materials).
July 1997/ Dec 1999
MSc - Physics at Karnatak University Dharwad
July 1995 / July 1997
B Sc - Physics, Chemistry Mathematics at Karnatak University Dharwad
I studied 3 years Bachelor Degree in Science with 3 equal import subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics)