Details have emerged of how the new Quebec Expression of Interest system will work.
A Quebec Immigration decree published in the Official Quebec Gazette on July 18, 2018 says the system will work in a similar way to the federal Express Entry system.
Candidates will submit an Expression of Interest and enter into a pool where the highest-scoring profiles will be invited to apply for a Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ) under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
A Quebec government statement said: “From now on, people interested in immigrating to Quebec under the Regular Skilled Worker Program will have to file an expression of interest”.
“Only those invited will be able to apply for permanent immigration.”
The new method will replace the current first-come, first-served system.
It is expected to come into force on August 2, 2018.
Quebec Immigration Minister David Heurtel has previously said the new skilled worker system, similar to the federal Express Entry system, will make Quebec immigration more modern, effective and efficient.
It is expected to reduce the processing time for economic immigration applicants to less than a year.
The Minister previously characterized the change as ‘revolutionary’. It will give priority to skilled workers who best meet the needs of the Quebec labour market.
How Does Quebec Expression of Interest Work?
- Candidates submit an online expression of interest profile to the Quebec Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion (MIDI).
- Profiles enter an Expression of Interest pool, where they are ranked against each other. A profile is valid for 12-months.
- The highest-ranking candidates will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for a Quebec Certificate of Selection under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
- Quebec will conduct periodic draws, inviting candidates to apply for a Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ).
- Candidates receiving an invitation have 90 days to submit a full application.
- Approved candidates who receive a nomination certificate (CSQ) may then apply for Canadian permanent residence.
What Are the Requirements for Quebec Expression of Interest?
Candidates are ranked under many factors including education, work experience, age, language ability and time spent in Quebec. A valid job offer is also an important factor.
The qualifications of a candidate’s spouse or partner will also be considered.
What Points Are Available Under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program?
|Profile factor||Max points available|
|Areas of training||12|
|Time spent and family in Quebec||8|