Changes to the Atlantic Immigration Pilot will see more spouses become eligible for Canada work permits.
The changes sees spouses of candidates in Canada on work permits through the Atlantic Intermediate Skilled Program eligible for work permits for the first time.
“This change supports the Atlantic Immigration Pilot’s goal to ensure newcomers who have come here, stay here,” said a statement from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
It was recently extended until 2021.
Ultimately an employer-led permanent residence program, candidates are eligible for a Canada work permit while their PR applications are processed.
It is those work permit candidates who are affected by the latest change, with spouses to be eligible from June 1 for open work permits under both the High Skilled and Intermediate Skilled streams.
“Originally, only the spouses of those in high-skilled positions, such as managers, medical doctors or architects, were able to apply for a work permit,” IRCC said.
The latest change follows a raft of change made in March 2019 designed to make it better suited to the needs of candidates and employers.
AIP: March 2019 Changes
- International graduates now have 24 months post-graduation to apply for the AIP. Previously, they had to apply within 12 months.
- Healthcare employers now able to hire internationally trained nurses to work as continuing care and home care support workers in order to fill job vacancies.
- The Atlantic provinces given new authority to focus on in-demand labour market needs through the AIP.
- IRCC now requires applicants meet the language, education and work experience requirements of the AIP prior to being approved for a work permit.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot: The Programs
1) Atlantic High-Skilled Program
The Atlantic High-Skilled Program is aimed at skilled workers with management, professional or technical/skilled job experience. There are also other requirements. The job offer must last for at least one year.
Read more about the Atlantic High-Skilled Program.
2) Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program
The Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program is aimed at candidates for jobs requiring a high school education and/or job-specific training. There are also other requirements. The job offer must be permanent.
Read more about the Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program.
3) Atlantic International Graduate Program
The Atlantic International Graduate Program is aimed at candidates who have a degree, diploma or other credential from a publicly-funded institution in an Atlantic province. Work experience is not required. The job offer must last for at least one year.
Read more about the Atlantic International Graduate Program.